Monday, July 21, 2008

Daughter Dilemma

A few posts back I mentioned a situation with my daughter where she was getting static from team mates and was having a tough time coping. Well there was so much competition going on within the team with positions being changed as well as batting order. I tried to counsel her as best as I could and told her to do her best and to try to block out the negative. "Don't let anyone throw you off your game. Besides, the coach is the one who makes the decisions on who plays where and when." Then I thought about it, the coach is the one who makes that decision.

Upon further investigation I began to notice that slowy but surely, the coach was diminishing my daughter until she was eventually in the outfield, then on the bench. Why is it that my daughter's name was in the papers on numerous occasions for hits and RBI's, when people with a lower (practically non-existent) batting average was placed above her. Why was she on the bench?

Then I took a closer look. Hmmm, all the girls on the field had blonde ponytails. There were three girls on the bench; my daughter (with her dark brown twists pulled back), another girl had her long brunette locks cut over the summer into a cute bob, too short for a ponytail; and the third girl had blond hair, but she too had her summer cut a couple of months ago and her hair was also too short for a pony. Was it just my imagination????

Well upon further investigation, I found that I was not the only one to discover this strange behavior. A couple of parents also mentioned that this particular coach favored girls who closely resembled his daughter (blond ponytail). Ain't that some S***?!

Well needless to say, she will not be playing on that team next season. Hubby and I are actively seeking another home where she will be utilized and not stomped upon!

As for her fareweather friend, she now knows that not everyone who says they are your friend really means it. I'll continue to pray to God to send her a life long friend who will appreciate her for who she is and not feel threatened by what makes them different. Someone with whom she can refer back to the "good ole days" and not recall pain and anguish.

1 comment:

alondaray said...

that is some crazy sxxx. People are so funny. I pray for the same thing for my pumpkin. good friends are so hard to come by these days