Monday, July 21, 2008

Mrs. Fix It

It so much pressure being superwoman. It's down right exhausting! A year ago our washing machine started leaking. Our laundry room is located on the second floor so we freaked out when water damage appeared on the ceiling below. Busy Hubby wanted to replace the machine. Being "Mrs. Fix It", I took it upon myself to investigate and see if it could be repaired. I discovered a rip in the coin trap hose. You could see the obvious tear and it seemed like a simple do-it-yourself repair. I called Sears, ordered the part and vioila! Just like new for a grand total of $30.00!

Well a few months later the dryer started smoking and gave off a burnt smell. Busy Hubby wanted to replace the machine. I took as much apart as I could and cleaned out an obscene amount of lint! People, it was scary the amount of lint stored inside the dryer! Well, the dryer ran wonderfully until the burnt smell returned a few months later. I didn't want to chance hanging on to a fire hazard so, we replaced the machine. We purchased an LG dryer and I LOVE it! The drum is twice the size as the previous dryer which is wonderful for blankets and comforters! And instead of a loud buzz at the end of the cycle, it plays a little tune. Busy Boy says it sounds like the ice cream truck. Doing laundry has never been this fun! I actually smile when the load is done!

The installer said that usually people will buy a set (oh, no - was he trying to break on a sista'?), but (he caught himself and attempted to clean it up) - a lot of people will buy them separately. (but he added the kiss of death) Then, the other will die within a couple of months. I think he put the whammy on my washer!

Today while unloading towels, I notice water in the washing machine tray. Not again! So before night fall, I must pull out my tool box and check things out again. Haven't mentioned it to hubby yet, but we all know what that response will be, "guess we'll have to replace the machine".

No comments: