Sunday, November 4, 2007

Advice anyone?

I was chatting with a friend the other day about life and advice. Everyone has given advice at one time or another on various aspects of life; What to expect when starting college. What to expect when starting your career. What to expect when starting a business. What to do when planning a wedding. What to expect when expecting a child. I can go on and on.....

But do people actually listen to and heed the advice? It seems that no matter what you say, many will forge their own path and do what they want to anyway. Who can blame them, it is their life right? When (and if) they look back and reflect on the advice given, do they think, "Oh yeah...." Personally, getting advice from people is a pet peeve for me-unless of course I ask for advice.

If I had to do it all over again I definitely would not have stopped working. Technically I was laid off and decided to start my own business. [CAUTION: ADVICE AHEAD] I should not have waited so long to jump back into the game. It seems like my career stock took a huge plunge and I'm literally starting from scratch.

I don't regret starting a business, it's been a very fulfilling experience and I have no plans to stop, but I can definitely maintain it on a part-time basis without skipping a beat.

Whenever someone finds out that I "have my own business" and "work from home", they seem so impressed - well don't be. Now, if I were "working from home" for a company that paid a "steady income" - that would be impressive. Or, if I had the desire and capital to launch a huge money making business, that would be impressive. For me - family comes first, business gets in when it can. The money is decent, but not steady. It's a perfect part-time gig. I've always had the "entrepreneurial bug" and will always have a hustle going. I'm just chomping at the bit to get back in the game, put on a suit and heels (most of which are outdated-it has been 7 years for me, but that's another story) and roll with the big dogs!

This Busy household needs two steady incomes. As such, I've been trying to re-enter the workforce over the past year, yes, THE PAST YEAR. I've been on a number of interviews but nothing has panned out, until recently. Within the past week I've had two interviews, one very promising. I'm hopeful that one will come through. Ironically the full-time interview ended with a proposition of a possible consulting position where I can work from home-now wouldn't that be impressive ;-)

No comments: