Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The art of handwritten letters

Yesterday I received a letter from my Aunt who lives in North Carolina. She and I have been writing letters to one another since I was eight years old, it's always been our main source of communication. This annoys hubby tremendously. He cannot understand why we don't just pick up the phone and talk to one another, rather than communicate via snail mail. Honestly, we probably only speak on the phone "maybe" twice a year.

I look forward to getting my holiday/birthday cards, decorated with stickers and cut outs; Valentines Day, Anniversary, Birthday and Christmas. Even Busy Boy and Busy Girl look forward to getting their birthday cards with $1 for each year-it's especially a highlight when the card arrives on the actual birthday (an art only a true letter writer can appreciate).

I tried to explain to hubby that she and I share a special bond through our letter writing. We communicate thoughts and feelings that wouldn't be expressed on the telephone and describe events with such detail; it's like reading a chapter from your favorite book. Some letters are so funny and descriptive that I read them to the children as though it was a short story, and they enjoy it so much! My Aunt, in turn saves many of my letters and keeps them in a scrap book (yes, she is the queen of the "low-budget" scrap book) to share with family and friends.

In this day and age of forwarded prayers, chain letters and cute video clips via e-mail, it's comforting to know that a part of me remains connected to what seems to be a dieing art, the art of handwritten letters.

No comments: