Monday, October 15, 2007

Quiet Muffs

Every day after school, I chat with Busy Boy and Busy Girl about their day at school. Direct questions like, "How was your day?", "How was school?" or "What did you do in school today?", has always gotten me a limited response. I've discovered a question that seems to work much better (at least for us it works)... "Anything interesting happen today?" . They flood me with information about their friends and teachers and eventually themselves.

Today Brandon informed me that the teacher let him use the "quiet muffs" today. I had no idea of what he was talking about. At first I thought he was being disruptive in class and needed to wear some type of earmuff contraption to calm down-I was immediately on the defense. What is a "quiet muff" exactly? Busy Girl chimed in with a description, "It looks like large headphones with cushions around the ears. Kids wear them to muffle sounds so they can work without distraction. Some kids have their own quiet muffs that they bring to school with their names on them."

O-K-A-Y.

Since I was within arms reach of my computer, I looked them up and found this photo...



They look like headphones from back in the day. I had no idea they were re-invented as "quiet muffs" and used in the school system. Interesting. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Oh well, you learn something new every day!

2 comments:

alondaray said...

wow what a great idea. certainly encourages distraction free work. I think I may get some for my sweet girl. She gets distracted really easily ...thanks!!

Mickey said...

Makes you wonder why we haven't thought of that before! We could be millionaires! Maybe we can manufacture "designer" quiet muffs and distribute them through Justice!