Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Turkeys are Back!

My office is located in the back of the house, facing about 2 acres of trees separating us from the New Jersey Turnpike. At first it took some getting use to. In Michigan, my office was in the front of the house and I was able to view all the happenings and activities of the neighborhood; watch the kids play, see the school bus drop off, get the mail as soon as it's delivered and more importantly, catch a neighbor in action as she let her dog poop on our front lawn.

Since working in the back of the house I'm exposed to an entirely different world, the world of nature. Highlights include; the family of eight deer that travel and live in the woods, a variety of beautiful birds, cardinals, a ton of very loud blue birds, soaring hawks, bunny rabbits, stray cats, buzzards (yuck), thousands (yes thousands)of birds congregating in the trees before making that trip South (I tell Busy Boy it's a bird rest stop) and wild turkeys.

Last year, on exactly November 1st, I looked out my back window to see what I thought were 12 buzzards walking around the back lawn. I was completely grossed out and disgusted because I assumed something big and dead was rotting nearby. Well one bird suddenly spread his feathers out when I realized those weren't buzzards, but Turkeys! It looked like a perfect text book illustrated Turkey. I tried to get some pictures with my camera phone but they were very blurry. They hung around for the entire month of November, many neighbors saw them walking around on Thanksgiving day!

Well on Monday, while in my office, I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye and there they were - about seven wild turkeys strolling around. I started yelling, "The Wild Turkeys are back! The Turkeys are back!", and grabbed my camera heading for the deck to get some clear shots. Busy Boy was right behind me. Busy Girl was walking the pooch. Busy Boy and I must have scared them off because they took off into the woods and haven't been seen since. I'm sure they will be back, I'll be here watching and waiting with camera at hand.

No comments: